Thursday, September 22, 2011

Optimal solution: buy and old car or get the car fixed?

I have Toyota Camry 1998 LE cylinder 4 model with 106K miles which I mostly use for commute to office. Its engine got seized because I forgot to change engine oil in time. Now, what is my optimal solution? I don't want to buy a new reliable car which is going to cost around 20k.



I see two options. Buying similar car / Toyota Carola / Honda Civic with similar mileage and year and selling my broken car though I don't know how much I will get for it with engine not working. However, I changed tires about 8 months ago and changed timing belt and water pump about an year ago.



I guess 2nd option will be to get it repaired. Other than engine problem, I don't have any known issue in this car. In repair also there are two choices: get refurbished engine or get the current engine repaired.



I am not sure which one is optimal solution. Can someone help me taking decision? What should I do? Which option to choose and how much it is going to cost or is there any other alternative?



Thanks.Optimal solution: buy and old car or get the car fixed?
Look at getting a used engine from a salvage yard. It will be much less expensive than a new or rebuilt engine, and will keep your car on the road.



try-http://www.car-part.com/Optimal solution: buy and old car or get the car fixed?
I wouldn't spend much money on another car, cause you'll probably seize that engine too. If you can't be bother will oil changes, get a bicycle.