Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I have a 1999 Civic, 63K, do I need a new timing belt?

The dealer says it is supposed to be replaced at 100K or 10 years which ever comes first. For a 60K service and the timing belt (and inspect water pump) they want $1100! This seems a bit much. Does this really need to be done or can it wait? How will I determine when it needs it? I just wanted the usual oil change and got this surprise. Thanks.I have a 1999 Civic, 63K, do I need a new timing belt?
You don't have to but if it breaks you will be replacing the engine which costs a lot more than $1,100. Rubber degrades over time so its going break eventually even if you never hit 100k miles.



Short term its going to cost you but long term its cheaper to replace it before it breaks. Shop around for a better price like not at the dealership.I have a 1999 Civic, 63K, do I need a new timing belt?
i say your fine till about 100k, but this is a important part to change and when you do the timing belt it is best to have the water pump changed as well.



$1100 is high IMO, 6 months ago i did the same thing to my car (same as yours)



Dealership 1 quoted me $990, Dealership 2 quoted me $347 (for the same work, i supplied the belt $50 belt)



didn't change my original timing belt till 153k miles and its ok, but some go earlier than others so its better to be safe than sorry, when a timing belt breaks it could cause major engine damage.I have a 1999 Civic, 63K, do I need a new timing belt?
Well a 60k costs 300 to 400 and the timing belt costs 700 to 900. The water pump, cam and crank seals, tensioner and belt should all be replaced at the same time. Also change the service belts while your at it and be good for another 100k miles. Its been 10 years on your original belt, its time. I recommend factory parts, its the only way to go. Dont wait or you might regret it if that belt breaks.I have a 1999 Civic, 63K, do I need a new timing belt?
It's still a bit early to change it, and the dealership is totally ripping you off. Get it changed no later than 105k and you'll be fine. Sounds like they are looking to nickle and dime. Shop around, and don't go to dealerships. Depending on where you live, I'd say anything over $700 is too much. 4-600 is more reasonable. Good luck!I have a 1999 Civic, 63K, do I need a new timing belt?
The entire %26quot;Gates%26quot; kit is available for $69.79 at the site below.Includes water pump,belt,tensioner.Assuming you have the 1.6L I-4 motor.You don't have to pay BIG money to have this done! The labor is costly however,but worth it.At 63,000 you are approaching the end-life of the belt.If you don't race or abuse your motor you should still have some time.If it does break all the Valves whack the pistons and bend.Replacing the Belt and Pump buys you many years of peace of mind.