Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Need advice. Garage overfilled oil in my 03 Mercedes C230k sport coupe. How much do I remove?

Decided to take my 2003 C230k coupe I-4 1.8L to a garage down the street from where I work. Was getting tired of the $300 and $400 glorified oil changes known as Service A and Service B. Anyway, I was sure to ask them if they could handle this car and they said no problem. 4 miles down the road I got a red-screen warning saying %26quot;ENGINE OIL LEVEL - REDUCE OIL LEVEL.%26quot; Called the garage, they said don't worry. The oil takes time to settle, call tomorrow if it continues. I gave it 8 hours, warmed it up and took it for a drive. There it was again. Came home, did some research. They added 7 liters (7.4 quarts) and by all accounts I have read this engine takes only 5.8 or 6 quarts. I put together a homemade siphon pump out of some household stuff, got some information on the convenient oil output valve on top of the engine and gave it a try. Worked great. I've taken out somewhat short of a half gallon of oil, so I would say between 1.5 and 2 quarts. I took it out for another drive and am still getting the warning, but it takes much longer for it to appear. Was taking 3-5 minutes before, close to 10+ now.



So my question is, do I keep removing oil until it's happy or should I acknowledge there should be another problem? Never got this message before. When it's a little low on oil it tells me to add a quart and I do. It's always been happy.



Thanks in advance for any advice!Need advice. Garage overfilled oil in my 03 Mercedes C230k sport coupe. How much do I remove?
%26quot;The oil takes time to settle, call tomorrow if it continues%26quot;.



That's a good one...and it's also completely false.



The 1.8L M271 engine takes 5.8 litres of oil ( ~ 6 quarts ). I would have driven over to the shop that did the oil change for you with owner's manual in hand stating the correct oil capacity and had them drain the excess oil. Driving with too much oil can cause foaming which is not good for the engine. Another option is to drain the oil completely and refill it with the correct amount. You did say that they filled it with 7 litres, I'm guessing that's the amount they indicated on the invoice but who knows how much they really put it. By draining it all and refilling it again, you know the correct amount is going in.



EDIT: To those that say check the dipstick...this Benz model does not have a dipstick. The only way to check oil level is electronically through a display screen in the instrument cluster. There is a sensor located within the oil pan that monitors the oil level and quality.Need advice. Garage overfilled oil in my 03 Mercedes C230k sport coupe. How much do I remove?
That garage made a mistake and over filled your car. %26quot;The oil takes time to setttle%26quot; is total BS. I assuming your car doesn't have a dipstick and it reads oil level electronically. I would bring it back to that garage and tell them that it's overfilled and they need to lift it up and drain some out for you until the oil level is accetable. This problem should not totally rest on your shoulders you paid to have service done and a mistake was made...it happens...make them rectify it.Need advice. Garage overfilled oil in my 03 Mercedes C230k sport coupe. How much do I remove?
I am guessing you car does not have a drain plug for the oil on the bottom of the car in the oil pan? If it does then drain it and put the recommended amount in. If not remove what you can by the method you are using and check the dipstick and refill until the dipstick reads full at the cold setting on the stick. then run it until warmed up and see if the light appears and add or delete accordinglyNeed advice. Garage overfilled oil in my 03 Mercedes C230k sport coupe. How much do I remove?
there is a dip stick to check oil level and if its over its over. really removing oil filter will drain some out really i wouldnt have left shop or would have been there waiting in front of a door which is where you need to be now and not here. they mess up a oil change they not a place id be going back to again really a 12 year old... can change oil and do it right and they telling you oil has to settle is bull and stop sucking oil out your selfNeed advice. Garage overfilled oil in my 03 Mercedes C230k sport coupe. How much do I remove?
There's nothing wrong in going to a GOOD independent place to service your Mercedes. Looks like you stumbled upon not so good of a place...

Anyway, I agree with Jay. How do you know they put 7 liters? Did it say on the invoice? Did they tell you? What if they put 8 liters? The best way is to drain completely and WATCH them refill.Need advice. Garage overfilled oil in my 03 Mercedes C230k sport coupe. How much do I remove?
You push the button on the steering wheel and check your oil level your self, read the car manual it is not a science fiction to do that.Need advice. Garage overfilled oil in my 03 Mercedes C230k sport coupe. How much do I remove?
You should have taken the vehicle back to the place that changed your oil. The engine you have, the M271 takes 5.5 liters of oil. If I were you I would take it back to where the oil change was done and have them fix it, or I would reduce the oil level using your home made tool until the level is correct. You could take out all the oil and refill it with the correct amount yourself, but thats not as cost effective. Sometimes it pays to take it to the dealer and pay a little more money. Atleast they know what they are doing.
  • got a call saying
  • web design and hosting
  •