Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How can I tell if I need a new oil pump for my Explorer?

When I got my oil changed, the guy said I needed a new oil pump. I've been to this 'jiffy lube' place before and the have told me I need a bunch of stuff I didn't need- dad checked it out but he's not around today-is there anyway I can tell if I need a new pump (without crawling under the car or getting too dirty)?How can I tell if I need a new oil pump for my Explorer?
Generally speaking, somebody that does oil changes as a full-time career is not going to be qualified to telepathically diagnose the condition of your internal engine components.





The oil pump is inside the oil pan. That guy has never seen your oil pump, let alone actually tested it to determine its condition. If he thinks that your oil pressure is low, that's a valid concern, but I highly doubt that the pump is the source if that's the case. There are more likely scenarios for low oil pressure than a weak or bad pump.How can I tell if I need a new oil pump for my Explorer?
do a oil pump pressure test and this will tell you if you need a new pump.good luck