Saturday, November 20, 2010

1994 Pontiac Firebird, How can I change the oil pump.?

How can I change the oil pump? I know how to get the oil pan off but the book states that you have to take off the flywheel too? Per the car manual it also states that you have to lift the engine out to change it. Is this so? Can't I change it with out doing all of that? I Would like to do the job my self. But I never have changed a oil pump before.1994 Pontiac Firebird, How can I change the oil pump.?
The reason the book says to remove the flywheel is because you will not be able to raise the engine high enough to remove the oil pan.If the transmission and flywheel are out of the way the pan will be able to be removed. This is not a do it yourself job. You will either have to remove trans. and flywheel or remove engine1994 Pontiac Firebird, How can I change the oil pump.?
If the book says you have to remove the flywheel, then either the transmission has to come out or the engine. I'd take it to a shop, this is not really a do it yourself first timer doing an oil pump kind of job, it's a little more involved and special knowledge is needed.1994 Pontiac Firebird, How can I change the oil pump.?
You will have to remove the engine to get the oil pan off to get to the oil pump. You didn't state what size engine so I can't get too specific.