Wednesday, November 24, 2010

1998 ZX6R Ninja not starting after oil change?

I changed the oil (synthetic blend) and it started fine but once I started riding it would not go into neutral. I would have to let it cool down for hours and then it would go into neutral. now it will not start. I pulled the tank and it has fuel in the filter but I pulled the fuel line that goes to the motor after the filter and when I crank it no gas is coming out the line. it will crank all day just not start.

I heard it could be clutch sensor, kickstand sensor, fuel pump, t.o.s or fuel pump relay. how do I test these to see what the problem is.1998 ZX6R Ninja not starting after oil change?
some tanks have a vacum pipe tap design that gives you a few spins to start the engine .if the engine then refuses to start it cant sense a vacum from the inlet manifold .If it cant sense a vacum then it refuses to let fuel through.If it is this type of stupid fuel tap design then check the vacum tap sensor pipe has a tight seal and no air leaks.Air leaks on this pipe will keep the tap closed .they can aslo be a ***** when connected to autochoke carbs.1998 ZX6R Ninja not starting after oil change?
It sounds like either the fuel filter is clogged, the fuel petcock is shut off, or the fuel pump or relay is shot.



On my SV, if the clutch isn't pulled, or if the kickstand is down while in gear, my spark is cut and my bike won't crank. If your bike behaves the same way, that's a quick test for those two sensors.