Thursday, June 2, 2011

Is it easy to replace the water pump on my 1990 Volvo 740 myself?

I am not an expert mechanic but have, in the past, done the work on my own vehicle myself. Not only change the oil, spark plugs, etc., but did replace a water pump and transmission on a vehicle I owned over a decade ago.



I don't have a service manual but will go to the public library today to see whether I can attempt the work myself. However, looking at the manual and doing the work myself is two very different things.



Has anyone, preferably not a seasoned mechanic, replaced their own water pump on a 1990 740 Volvo, or similar make? If so, can you tell me the level of difficulty, and how much time it took to do the work?Is it easy to replace the water pump on my 1990 Volvo 740 myself?
Yes you can do it and here are the steps......



Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Set the heater control to MAX heat.

Remove the expansion tank cap.

Open the draincocks on the right-hand side of the engine block and on the radiator, and drain the coolant into a suitable container.

Close the draincocks when the coolant is completely drained.

Remove the radiator shroud and fan.

Remove the lower radiator hose at the water pump.

If required, remove the retaining bolt for the coolant pipe beneath the exhaust manifold and pull the pipe rearward.

Remove the drive belts and water pump pulleys.

Remove the water pump bolts, washers and nuts.

Remove the water pump assembly.