Thursday, June 2, 2011

How can I check my oil pressure?

I have a '95 F-150 w/ 5.0. My oil pressure gage reads low and occasionally jumps up and down. Is there any way I can check what the actual oil pressure is? I'd like to know if it is faulty gage or a bad pump, without having to take it to a mechanic. It uses a little oil between changes.

How can I check my oil pressure?
those models were know for having weak oil pumps that went bad, if it is jumping between average and high pressure let her ride, but if its reading real low like no oil pressure at all then max, better have her looked at.How can I check my oil pressure?
You can remove the oil pressure sending unit and screw in a test gauge. Most common for the sending unit to go bad. I would just replace the sending unit. Is the oil pressure gauge the only one that reads off? If they all read off you may have an electrical problem in the dash.