Thursday, June 2, 2011

I will be aquiring a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE with the 3.0 V6. How much will the Saab mechanic get me for?

The car has 94,000 on it now. The belt and water pump were never changed. The previous owner was meticulous on the cosmetics aspects and synthetic oil changes, but not mechanically. The car runs fine now but I know I need to get this changed.I will be aquiring a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE with the 3.0 V6. How much will the Saab mechanic get me for?
I have the same car with 176k miles on it. 2001 9-5 SE V6 sedan... I just had the timing belt AND tensioners (very important to do them too) done at my Saab mechanic for about $750. This also included the serpentine belt and tensioner. Enjoy they car, you'll love it!!



EDIT: Please do not listen to the two people who answered after me, specifically Bramst, because (with all-do respect to him) I assure you that he does not have any experience with the V6 engine in the 9-5's from 1999 to 2003. It is true that the 9-5 V6 is based off a terribly unreliable Opel engine used in 900's and 9000's, but the 9-5 V6 is VERY MUCH improved. The old engine required the timing belt to be replaced at 30k mile intervals, the newer one only requires 60k mile intervals. There are MANY, MANY happy 9-5 V6 owners with well over 100k miles on them, myself included with 176k as of yesterday. There are even a bunch I know of with over 200k. I definitely recommend visiting Saabnet.com, and checking out some of the posts about the 4-cyl vs. the V6 9-5. Many agree that the V6 is a more reliable alternative to the 4-cyl because the V6 is not prone to sludge, head gasket problems, head bolt problems, PCV issues, etc...



So Bramst, I recommend you do a little research before you go bashing a perfectly good thing.I will be aquiring a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE with the 3.0 V6. How much will the Saab mechanic get me for?
If you're going to buy a used Saab with the miles close to tipping 100,000 it is absolutely imperative that you make a list of Saab specific mechanics in your area and shop around on the price they charge on the water pump and belt. Do NOT EVER take a Saab to a mechanic that doesn't advertise Saab as one of their specialties but ideally you want to find a mechanic that works exclusively on Saabs.



You didn't list what area you're in, but if you want to follow up with a comment where you live I might be able to point you in the right direction .



It's important to find a mechanic that is honest, and one that will also let you find your own parts (which are ALWAYS cheaper if you order ahead on the internet. I have a guy that sends me parts for about 1/3 of the price any mechanic will change) instead of insisting that in order to work on your car that you pay their absurd prices for specific parts. (I've run into some crooks like that)



Anyway, in my experience, a replacement water pump (assuming the mechanic has a used one for sale, or you can find one for less than a new pump) will cost you parts and labor in the mid $200's, but if you need to buy it new will be be closer to $400. The belt I'm not sure of, but you can get an idea of the price of the belt itself by shopping for the part online. You should ask the buyer where he had his SE serviced, as I'm sure he has a good idea of who the most honest cost-effective individual is in your area is. (All Saab owners are fanatics) This will help you keep costs down and save you the trouble of researching the mechanics in your area although it would still be good practice to do so.



One last thing, ask him whether he buys his parts from a third party and where, be it online or a 3rd party parts dealer.



Oh, and almost forgot, the best forum that I've found amongst Saab owners to discuss whatever questions might arise is: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/



This is the bulletin board section.



Good luck!!!I will be aquiring a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE with the 3.0 V6. How much will the Saab mechanic get me for?
nonononononoI will be aquiring a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE with the 3.0 V6. How much will the Saab mechanic get me for?
Stay away from that V6! It was not a good engine. Wait and find a 4cyl turbo. The V6 is an Opal motor and the turbo 4 is a real SAAB motor...



The water pump and belt should be $400 - $600.I will be aquiring a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE with the 3.0 V6. How much will the Saab mechanic get me for?
Just get the belt replaced, the thermostat replaced, and have the radiator flushed. If the water pump shows no signs of leakage or noise, don't change it. If your car ever starts to over heat, shut off the car, and call a tow service. Driving your car hot will destroy the engine resulting in thousands in damage.