Thursday, June 2, 2011

How hard is it to replace a oil pump on a 97 cavalier 2.2?

I have a 97 cavalier with a 2.2 auto in it. It has 130k miles and the car has been serviced every 5k miles since new, but When warm, if I stop at a red light the oil pressure light comes on and the engine almost struggles and sometimes stalls. If I step on the gas a little the light goes out and it runs fine. I have 5-30 oil in it. I think I'm going to change it to 10-40 and see if that helps. Should I raise the rpms at idle by the adjustment? all signs seem to point to the oil pump. Id like to know what I'm getting into before I start working on it and end up working on it for days because didn't know what I was doing?! Thanks.How hard is it to replace a oil pump on a 97 cavalier 2.2?
1 try the 10 w oil FIRST

2 you cant adjust the idle [computer controlled nor should you

3 before you start taking it apart for oil Pump replace the sending unit...they often get clogged up setting off the light

4 I would keep driving it as is... 130K too soon for oil pump if you really did oil changes as you say...it could run to 200,000 as is without problemHow hard is it to replace a oil pump on a 97 cavalier 2.2?
well it kinda depends. i'm almost willing to be in that car you have to pull the motor so it won't be fun and if you don't have the skills to pull a motor and an engine stand you can't do it yourself.
  • valve stem oil seals
  • clear up black spot
  •